Thursday 20 September 2012

Dirt, Dust and Sun



In Melbourne town
Things seem clean
Footsteps walk the
Unbroken path
The familiar road
And the heart that lies here

Closing my eyes
I see another place

In it I picture
Orange Dirt,
Dust
And
Sun

I can already smell the bush,
Feel the heat and hear the
Quiet

Something creeps into my mind
My eyes open and I see
The unknown
That lies ahead
“Don’t go” it says

It might be easier
To take a different path
Resist adventure
And stay

Wait for another voice
Resting on your shoulder
Whispers closer
Still
“It’s time”

Anxieties awaken
As such time draws
Near

Landing safely
With exploring eyes
The sun hits as you see
You’re here

Travelling through a world of
No where
The destination soon
Comes closer

Upon arrival
You picture yourself
In a child’s paradise
A peaceful place

Home for the six weeks
In which you have been
Given a task

The weight of that
Privilege
Soon takes hold

You know you
Can do this
And are eager to
Begin

A classroom
Awaits
Through
Children’s grins

Days now have
Truly
Gone by

Disbelief of accomplishing
Such a challenge
Children respond to you
For you
A gift that cannot be bought

A gift you give back
In realisation
That you now see them
For them

The bush is seen in
Their skin
Through their eyes
In their home

The dirt, dust and sun
Was there all 
Along

ADVENTURE WON!

Now back in cold Melbourne town
The warm paradise
Of Pigeon Hole days
Are seen through
Photographic memories
A distant place
Where a piece of my heart
Will always
Belong




No comments:

Post a Comment